I also really love history. So the history of the holidays and holiday traditions fascinates me.
I was watching a holiday special several years ago and heard a historian say that the X IS NOT replacing the Christ in Christmas. Say what?! Like most people I grew up hearing "Keep Christ in Christmas", "It is never spelled Xmas!". So I did my research (how did we ever learn anything before Google?). OH HOLY NIGHT! Dude was telling the truth!
Are you ready for this? In the days of the early Church the "X" (or sometimes "XP") actually stands for Christ! I found millions of links on Google explaining this much better than I can. Here is the link to my Google search (I entered the very simple criteria of "the x in Christmas) http://www.bing.com/search?pc=AMAZ&form=AMAZWB&setmkt=en-US&q=the+x+in+christmas+history. Now I don't feel so bad when I run out of room on Christmas cards and have to write Xmas.
May your holidays be bright!
Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment